Sunday, February 8, 2009

Why should you read me?

My goal is to write stories that will help people make the change they want in their life.
It's easy to give advises but harder to follow them, and that's why even though there are so many "self help books" out there, people find it hard to change.
What I believe is missing in these books, is the feel.
One of my favorite quotes is: "They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel." By Carl W. Buechner.
So in my stories I try to give you a self-help book, which is built into the story.
I try to make you feel the tools that can help you change.

I remember an interview with my favorite Children books' author. She has been asked what was her first great moment as an author. The answer was that right after her first book was published, she went to a bookstore and waited for the first reader to buy her book. Soon enough, a young kid bought the book. She followed him out and saw that he has started to read it while walking in the street. He was so into the reading that he did not see a bus stop in his way and bumped into it. That was her moment.

My moment was when the first person that ever read my first story told me few months later: “You know Joey, I took this sentence from your story and it is accompanying me ever since I read it, and I use it whenever it gets rough on me.” Then another reader told me that about a different line from the story, and another reader took another line… . This is when I knew I achieved my goal. They could feel the message, and each one took the feel she/he needed for her/his life. That’s what I hope you can do to. So enjoy and don’t forget to share your feedback.

Yours,
Joey Avniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment